Thursday 7 March 2013

Sacagawea dollars



Why are the Americans not taking to these beautiful coins?!

The United States Mint has been producing some excellent new designs over the past decade or so such as the state quarter series and of course the Sacagawea dollar but for some reason unintelligible to me, the state quarters have been widely collected by, according to the US treasury webiste ~140 million people! Meanwhile, the equally attractive Sacagawea dollar wasn't even minted from 2002-2008 and again last year due to low public acceptance and demand.

Please don't misunderstand me, I like a lot of the state quarter editions too (indeed I have a small and growing collection) but I can't understand why the contemporary dollar coins have been so poorly received?
I'll concede that the first design (up to 2008) wasn't the most spectacular, but since then there have been lovely designs featuring peace pipes, arrows, horses and the lady herself planting a field.

No comments:

Post a Comment